Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Dating Hobby

I've been going on a lot of dates the past few months.... well ever since I got to Austin. It's kind of cool because I never thought of myself to be a guy that would go on A DATE versus going on several a week. It should be said, I'm still not getting laid that much. A lot of the dates are "one and dones" and the process almost becomes like a 2nd job trying to manage all of these different days.
I used to talk about my hobbies, my dreams, anything about myself on the early dates. Those were my good ones.

What do I talk about now? Nothing... it's not that I don't have anything to say, but it's because DATING BECAME A HOBBY. This is what I do for "fun" now. So much of my free time is spent messaging girls and trying to weasel a date out of them, that it's become part of my routine, my daily ritual, my way of interacting with the world, my personal, unestranged (not a word) labor as Marx would put it.
"So what do you do for fun or on your spare time?"
(honest cliff): "Well I spend about an hour a day messaging girls on an online dating site and try my best to portray myself as an equal mix of seemingly mutually exclusive, yet intriguing personalities such as, 'urbane gentleman' and 'carefree spirit' along with 'pop culture blogger' and 'aloof literary academic.' Another tricky juggle is the ' mature adult who is comfortable with little means' and 'guy that doesn't look poor.' One of these fascinating dichotomous pairings is
a reason why you decided to risk being killed and/or raped to meet me on this lovely coffee date."
And sadly, no one wants to talk too much about dating on first dates.

I'm whining a little too much but I am enjoying the female attention.... the next step would be keeping the interest going enough to eventually have a horrible break up.

Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting and funny. I can't wait to read more about your dating adventures.

    ReplyDelete